Home » What lies beneath… Why I’m embracing big pants x

What lies beneath… Why I’m embracing big pants x

“I wear Spanx to bed.  My husband’s like, ‘What is this stocking on you?’

And I’m like, ‘Trust me, it’s better this way.’ Everything looks better with Spanx.”

Actress Julie Bowen

Last week my beautiful friend Nicola, 7 weeks post-baby asked: “when will my tummy not have this bulge?”

Nicola like myself and so many women before us are faced with excess skin across on our stomachs following a cesarean. Unfortunately, 9 months post-Georgie and my pouch is still very prominent and truth be told, much bigger 2nd time around.

Up until Nicola’s question, I was feeling rather confident in my own skin, well at least underneath my layers of Mummy uniform.  I’d found the perfect formula for dressing and disguising my new lumps and bumps and I felt good about myself.  A lot of this inner confidence came from my newfound appreciation for shapewear.

Once upon a time, I had the pleasure of working with Trinny & Susannah on a style roadshow. Our aim was to inspire women to get properly fitted for bras and embrace a fruit that distinguished their body shape. I remember watching these two mesmerising women either pulling up their own dresses to reveal a nude shape suit (Susannah) or hauling women’s boobs up to show them where they should sit (Trinny). I was in my early 20s then and found the whole performance to be entertaining. I never imagined in a million years I would be squeezing my own body into giant pants.

But here I am after two gorgeous boys and my new best friends come with life support.  One of my favourite sets come from Next, a pair of Firm Control High Waist Shaping Briefs and the Georgie DD+ Minimising Full Cup Bra.

I totally love the high waisted briefs, as they smooth my Mum tum, define my waist and ultimately give me back an element of shape.  They also don’t give me VPL and feel like a second skin under my clothing.  The non padded bra gives me full cover and minimises my bust and smooths my overall bust shape.  It’s one of my daily go to bras for wearing under almost anything.  Both styles almost sculpt my silhouette whilst staying unvisable underneath my clothes.  Until now they were my secret confidence boosters.

But back to Nicolas question, am I happy to continue hiding under my layers of stripes and well-cut dresses? Or is it time I shaped up.  If I am so intent in disguising my stomach, then surely it was an area making me unhappy.

Thankfully my deep body analysis coincided with an introduction to a personal trainer called Emma, a friend of my husbands.  Historically when I have embraced exercise, I have always felt incredible afterwards. Not just in the body sense, but how my mind feels also.  However like so many Mum’s, time, motivation and childcare sometimes goes against us.

So before I start my training journey I wanted to document what my body looked like before, I also wanted to do something for me.  I wanted to have something to look back on when my belly pouch is the least of my worries and I can be proud of the Mum I am now.  In all honestly I’m terrified of hitting publish on these pictures and my poor family being subjected to “Our Renee in her knickers on Instagram”.  But hey, I promised to be honest with you and you can’t get anymore honest than being in your nudes. x

Share:

41 Comments

1. Cat
    May 24, 2018 / 2:07 am

You have never been more beautiful
    …x

• Christel stonehouse
      May 25, 2018 / 7:48 am

You look amazing embrace your new curves they come with history. Xx

June 17, 2018 / 11:04 am

Thank you, they sure do, you have incredible curves x

June 17, 2018 / 11:04 am

2. June 16, 2018 / 7:14 am

I admire you so muh for having the courage to post these photos. I am sure it took some bravery. I couldn’t do it. You look amazing and I very much appreciate the honesty. Plus you look amazing! Go Mama!

June 17, 2018 / 11:09 am

Hey, it took 3 times, haha. In the end I realised all sets of pictures looked the same, because my body and I still looked the same. Hitting publish was much harder than standing there in my pants, however glad they have been received so well. Thank you x

3. emmamc84
    June 16, 2018 / 7:15 am

I think you look fab! I really need to start wearing more shape-wear! Growing 2 kids hasn’t been kind to my body. I still have a deflated balloon for my tummy that protrudes when I wear anything slightly clingy!

June 17, 2018 / 11:11 am

Oh the balloon tummy, I have that too. My jeans cut it in half, so I have two balloons. The shape wear is great for smoothing it out and gives me a much needed confidence boost. I would love to be a tuck in my top kind of Mum, maybe one day. Thanks for commenting and try the bit pants x

June 17, 2018 / 11:12 am

Ah thank you x

4. June 16, 2018 / 7:43 am

Wow you look amazing! You should be really proud. Juggling exercise can be tricky but make time for you x

June 18, 2018 / 9:06 am

Ahh thank you. Juggling exercise as well as everything else is a challenge. I think we put too much pressure on ourselves to “bounce back”. One big pant wearing step at a time, haha x

5. June 16, 2018 / 7:49 am

Before I even read the words I was struck by the photos. Beautiful! I have exactly the same tummy issue and boobs, but I’m short so it all feels bumped together. Going to look at both the bra and pants.

June 18, 2018 / 9:08 am

Thanks so much. Honestly my friends don’t believe when I say I have a tummy, but those pants smooth it out. Honestly give them a go x

6. June 16, 2018 / 7:51 am

I couldn’t live without my Spanx! Hide a multitude of sins after 2 c sections!

June 18, 2018 / 9:08 am

Same here, 2 c sections and I have a kangaroo pouch. Spanx for life, haha x

7. June 16, 2018 / 7:52 am

I love my Spanx! They hide a multitude of sins after 2 c sections!

8. June 16, 2018 / 8:35 am

You look fab! 5 years postpartum for me & I could still deffo use these!

June 18, 2018 / 9:12 am

Thank you. I just wear them for me, to give me a mini confidence boost as I’m so self conscious. Worth a go, especially for a special occassion x

9. June 16, 2018 / 8:44 am

Great post! I’m 6 weeks post section for my second and my mum started going on about my tummy 2 weeks in. Now 6 weeks it’s gone down a bit but I still look pregnant so starting to look into shapewear too hehe. P.s you look amazing!

June 18, 2018 / 9:13 am

Georgie is now 10 months old and my belly looks 4 months, but more jiggly than pregnancy full. The pants just smooth it out and I didn’t start wearing them until I went back to work. Enjoy your baby, you don’t need shapewear, you need sleep, haha x

June 18, 2018 / 9:14 am

PS Congratulations x

10. June 16, 2018 / 9:23 am

Well if that’s your ‘before’ photo you don’t have too much to worry about! X

June 18, 2018 / 9:15 am

I wish I was strong enough to show you what my belly looks like underneath, you would be amazed. The pants give me a great before, haha. x

11. June 16, 2018 / 9:41 am

I’ve used shapewear before pregnancy and it’s been a major confidence boost. So I wouldn’t be ashamed to admit to using it now as well, when needed.

June 18, 2018 / 9:16 am

Kim Kardashian wears two pairs, one on top of the other and boasts about it. Nothing to be ashamed about at all. No different than a push up bra :o) x

12. randommusings29
    June 16, 2018 / 10:07 am

I love that you shared this and I think it’s really brave. You look amazing 🙂
    Debbie

June 18, 2018 / 9:16 am

Thanks lovely x

June 18, 2018 / 9:17 am

Thanks so much x

13. June 16, 2018 / 11:00 am

Oh it’s so hard isn’t it? After two babies I feel nothing will ever be the same! It seemed easier to lose the baby weight after my son but I feel my daughter’s pregnancy totally ruined my body! They say girls take your beauty don’t they! Lol!

June 18, 2018 / 9:19 am

I think that even if we did lose all our baby weight, our bodies have changed so much anyway. It’s so much easier to except how we are now and be content in our skin. Than chasing our old bodies. You are beautiful lovely x

14. June 16, 2018 / 12:28 pm

You look amazing!! Thanks for sharing xx

June 18, 2018 / 9:20 am

Thanks sweetie x

15. June 16, 2018 / 8:58 pm

You look fab and well done for sharing! I need to remember the same and that my body has created two children. The slightly bulging tum and stretch marks will hopefully fade over time but will always be there as a memory. Claire x

June 18, 2018 / 9:21 am

What if our bulging tums and stretch marks never go or fade? We would have lost the ‘best year of our lives’ wishing our bodies away. Let’s just embrace them and learn to fall in love with ourselves how we are. Just I will be in a one piece swimsuit, haha x

16. June 16, 2018 / 9:01 pm

These are such amazing pictures, I’m in awe of you for doing this, I’d never have the nerve. You look beautiful. I’ve never worn underwear like this before but i’ve had three babies in two years and despite being back to my pre-pregnancy weight after dieting, I don’t have time (or the motivation!) for exercise so still have a tummy I’m not proud of – I’m going to try them!

June 18, 2018 / 9:27 am

Thanks so much, they still make me giggle with nerves. Congratulations on your three babies in two years, you are doing great. You don’t need exercise running after your babies, you will surprise yourself how fit you already are x thanks for commenting and give the pants a go x

17. The Frugal Bear
    June 16, 2018 / 11:26 pm

I adore my spanx! I tried Others brands and all they seemed to do was move the bulges elsewhere lol.

June 18, 2018 / 9:27 am

I need to try Spanx (adding them to basket).. wish me luck, haha x